07 April, 2011

Hamburger Rocks or Dehydrated Hamburger!

 Here is a the dehydrator I use.  The temp setting for meat is 155F.
 I got some ground beef from my local IGA for $1.49 a pound.  It was left over from 'yesterday's grind'.  This is about 5 of the 10 pounds that I bought.  First I brown all of the meat up.

 Nice and browned!
 Then I rinse my meat and then I put it back into the pan to cook for just a minute longer to get some of the excess water off of it.
Then I start filling up my dehydrator!  I put the fruit roll up trays on the bottom tray to catch any meat that falls through the cracks.  Then I put the lid on and set the temp to 155F.  I let it dehydrate until the meat is completely dry.  

Then I store the dehydrated meat in glass canning jars.  I can also use my Food Saver to seal the meat into the jars.   This 10 pounds of meat cooked down to about 2 1/2 quarts.  The best part is that it does not take up freezer space and I do not have to worry about losing all of my meat if the power goes off for an extended period of time...or if the kids ever leave the freezer door open for an extended period of time...NOPE!  That has NEVER happened here!  The hamburger rocks are perfect for using with hamburger helpers once you rehydrate them!  You can also make taco seasoned meat and then dehydrate it!  A pint of dehydrated hamburger rocks is about equal to 2 pounds of the original meat.



3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Awesome, I'll have to try that - how do you "re-hydrate" it? I have only used my dehydrator for Jerky - I have the same Nesco one as you do.

katlupe said...

Pam, I'd love to try that. I can them but having some dehydrated would be great. Could you look at the amps on your dehydrater's label and tell me how many amps it uses? I'd really like to be able to use one of them.

Pam's Pride said...

Katlupe my dehydrator says: Watts 500, volts:120, 60HZ I hope that helps