05 June, 2011

Homemade shaved ice!

 We LOVE homemade shaved ice in the summer!  I swear this stuff is addicting...maybe it is the sugar that is in it!  LOL!  This recipe is SOOOO EASY and with over 70 Kool-Aid flavors to choose from you will never get bored  with this cheap and easy treat!  If you are worried about stains or you just want to make a surprise flavor you could use the Watermelon, or any other flavor, of clear Kool-Aid!
 First I mix equal parts of sugar and water.  I usually do about 2 cups sugar with 2 cups water.  Then I add in 2 packs of my favorite Kool-Aid flavors!  The top pan is orange and the bottom is Lemon-lime.
 I bring the syrupy stuff to a boil for about 2 minutes.  Then I let cool.
The top one in this picture is Berry Blue!  The kids LOVE the  Berry Blue and Lemon-Lime!
 The bottom one is Cherry!  Cherry, Black Cherry, and Orange are my favorites!!!!  I also made up a batch of grape!
 After I made the syrup flavorings I put the hot syrup in my jelly jars!  This was a great way for me to reuse some of my canning lids!!  They actually all resealed too!!  After they cooled a bit I sat them in the fridge.  But as long as they sealed properly you could set these in your pantry until you are ready to use them.  (I would boil my jars and lids if I were going to keep it in the pantry though.)

 I LOVE looking at filled canning jars!  Aren't these just beautiful??
I make my shaved ice by putting a cup of ice in the food processor for just a few seconds!   
 Then I scoop it into coffee or tea cups and add the flavorings (to taste) on top!  We then use a spoon to scoop it out and eat it!  My 9 yo is having a Berry Blue and Orange icee here!
 Once I am ready to use my flavoring I like to use the condiment bottles.  I just store the leftover flavoring in the fridge in the condiment bottle.  It is so easy to use then!  I have a bunch of bottles...somewhere....  I got them when they were on sale at Christmas time...for candy making.  I can never have to many of these bottles!  LOL!
                                                          Cherry!!  YUM!!



Search & Win







1 comment:

Christy said...

This is so cool! I used to love shaved ice...this makes me want some right now!